Metadata goes global: Making the most of the opportunity makes its debut on Thursday, 11 October 2012, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., at the Frankfurt Book Fair. Register today!
As demand for e-books grows, the opportunity to sell books in markets around the world grows with it. For most books, though, purchase depends on discovery. In a digital world, discovery starts when publishers create and maintain effective metadata.
In this focused three-hour program, you’ll learn current and emerging best practices from metadata authority Laura Dawson, Bowker’s product manager for identifiers. You’ll also learn best practices for selling digital books outside your core markets, based on research conducted and presented by publishing consultant Brian O’Leary
To help participants focus on discrete parts of the metadata opportunity, the workshop is divided into three components:
1) Getting metadata right
The workshop opens with an overview of the issues publisher face today in creating, managing and disseminating metadata. These include:
- An overview of what’s happening now in North America, the largest market for digital books
- Recommendations on how publishers should be thinking about territorial rights in a digital environment
2) Making metadata effective
The second section describes some innovative approaches to:
- Managing metadata across global markets
- Ensuring product discovery
- Managing metadata for physical and digital products; and
- Clearly communicating worldwide rights
Based on case studies and original research, this part of the workshop will also describe the practical approaches publishers can take to make sure their metadata workflows are effective and up to date
3) Preparing for the next wave
Based on pioneering work Laura Dawson has been doing at Bowker, the final part of the workshop will cover trends in identifiers, support for search-engine marketing and how content tagging will affect publishers in the next five years.
After participating in “Metadata goes global”, you will be able to:
- Identify global markets of greatest value for your books
- Audit and strengthen your current metadata workflows
- Apply best practices in the creation and management of title metadata
- Sell more books in more markets
The event will be followed by a one-hour networking lunch.
Click here to register and check back soon for program and speaker updates!